Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 January 2010

Beauty, Brunei Style

Brunei seems to be awash with Beauty Salons and shops full of beauty products so I thought I would give it a go as along with shoes, being pampered is definitely one of my weaknesses.

I went to one of our local supermarkets, called Supersave (or as I keep referring to it as the Kwik-E-Mart, definitely watched too many episodes of The Simpsons). Next door to Supersave are a couple of units.

One is a laundry and the other is a Florist/Beauty Salon/Hairdresser (yes all 3 are together in one shop).

I went and did some shopping then after putting it in the car thought I would be very brave and go see what they had to offer. I went in and asked about a pedicure, the next minute I was sitting in a chair with my feet soaking in a bowl of water with flowers in it.

In front of me was the lady who was away to do my pedicure, she then looked at my hands and then another woman was sitting next to me with my fingers in another bowl of water. The pedicure was fantastic as was the manicure I received and my hands and feet were now ready to be back on show.

As I had been sitting there watching all the comings and goings; to explain it seems that beauty treatments are quite sociable, you get to watch different people (staff I think) trying on clothes and looking for opinions, washing each others hair and styling it and having very animated conversations which all ended in lots of laughing. I decided I would ask about getting my hair trimmed (it was starting to look a bit mad, not that it takes much in the humidity).

I was then whisked away into another chair and a lady came up and put a gown and towel on me then walked away, I looked over the the sinks but silly me, we weren't going there. She came back and dolloped some shampoo on my head and then squirted water on it to start to get it to foam. This hair wash took about 25 minutes and if there was any tension in my head it had to be gone by the time she was finished. We then went over to the sink and she promptly told me I was to get my eyebrows shaped ("very cheap and take no time at all" she said), not wanting to sound offended (as I had just done them - admittedly not very well), I said "OK", in all honesty I don't think it would have mattered what I'd said they were being done whether I wanted it or not!

My hair then had the shampoo washed out (this took another 10 minutes) and then the lady for the eyebrows arrived, she was like a whirling dervish and when she was done she got a mirror and I was absolutely delighted, better than they'd looked in ages and for being a bit of a coward when it comes to plucking I didn't feel a thing.

I then went back over to the chair and my hair was trimmed and blow dried, I have to say for the first time my hair looked normal and felt great (as did I), I was told that next time I should just come in for a hair wash and manicure/pedicure and they will do it all at the same time (which I noticed is what the lady next to me was doing).

Then it was time for the bill, now normally I would be thinking of a 3 figure sum for all this so when I was asked for $46 which is the equivalent of £20 I gladly handed over my cash with thoughts of what I could get done next time!

I did resist buying flowers but can say with certainty I will be back for more pampering (maybe next week).

No comments:

Post a Comment